Arthritis is a very pain full condition in which inflammation of one or more joints, causing pain and stiffness that can worsen with age. Scientific studies have shown that doing yoga can be helpful in condition like arthritis. The most common form of Arthritis is osteoarthritis. The other condition of arthritis is rheumatic arthritis. In rheumatic condition the person could have pain, aching, stiffness and swelling in one or more joints. There are many risk factors for arthritis that include age, gender, genetics, overweight, injury, infection and occupation.
The movement and Stretch in Yoga can be helpful in arthritis. Deep breathing in Yoga also offers some other benefits. One can improve flexibility of body that is also good for arthritis.
Please seek the advice from your Healthcare professional before giving it a try and once you get started always listen to your body.
Yoga poses that may give benefits in arthritis
- Sun salutation It is the best way to start your day. Either you are a beginner or an advance you can do Sun salutation. It is very calming to you as you connect movement to breathe. This is very good for people that are overweight as it burn lots of calories when doing at a fast pace.
- Child pose It is very easy to do and may provide many benefits. It improves the flexibility and mobility in your Spine and can be helpful in arthritis. This is really very easy and the gentle pose to stretch your spine.
- Gomukhasana It is very good for your fingers, elbows, shoulder and spine. This asana remove the stiffness and improve the circulation of blood in knees and ankles. Because it improve the circulation of blood in the joint that’s why it also helps in the production of Synovial fluid in the joint.
- Setu bandhasana This asana is very good for your spine. It can improve the flexibility and mobility of spine. It also helps relieve pain, stiffness and discomfort in spine. This is also tone the muscles in your legs and improves the blood circulation. This pose also keeps your blood pressure under control.
Some others tip to cure Arthritis:
However doing yoga regularly will be helpful to cure this painful condition. Here are a few other quick tips for arthritis patients to help them cope with their condition better.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits, green salads, boiled and baked vegetables, boiled pulses, and lightly cooked grains and cereals. Avocado and soy products are strongly recommended.
- Consider periodic fasting. Fasting enhances the cleansing capacity of the lungs, skin, liver, and kidneys, and helps relax the nervous system.
- Try to reduce some weight. Avoid bananas, curd and rice, or other rice items in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Quit smoking.
- Limit the intake of tea/coffee or completely avoid it.
- Limit the consumption of milk and dairy products.
Complaining about the pain cannot give you any benefit. Keep yourself with the full of positive energy and try to keep yourself positive and happy.
Kneeling pose(vajrasana) and lotus pose(padmasana) should be avoided if you are suffereing from osteoarthritis. However, practicing these pose can prevent the occurrence of this condition. Always seek the advice from your health care professional or certified trainer before engaging in any fitness activity.